Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sweet Relief

At 34 years old I experienced my first toe infection.  My swollen red toe looked like it was smashed with a hammer.  It was my own fault.  I forgot to trim my toenails before a 20 mile backpacking trip.  Funny thing is... it didn't hurt until I got home and took off my shoe.  Owwweeee!  I'd post a picture but it is gruesome.  I think you get the idea.  I want to share with you how I cleared up the infection and avoided a trip to the doctors office.
You can do step 1 even if a problem doesn't exist.  The essential oils used will soothe tired and sore feet, as well as make them smell great.  The peppermint is cooling, the lemon refreshing, and the lavender is relaxing and reduces inflammation.  Epsom salts soften the skin and make it easier to exfoliate.  The salts also contain trace minerals like magnesium.  Step 2 is intended to spot treat bacterial infections.  Other essential oils are better for fungal infections (like Athlete's Foot or toenail fungus) such as Oregano oil.  All of the essential oils can be found by clicking the link in the DoTerra tab on this page.  Epsom salts are widely available, even at the grocery store.

Sweet Relief Recipe:

Step 1 ~ In a large bowl, add a gallon of warm water.  Make sure the water only fills your bowl half way or when you put your feet in it will overflow.  Add 1 cup of Epsom salt to the warm water.  Add 3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil, 3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil, and 3 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil.  Stir until the salts are dissolved.  Soak your feet until the water is cool.  Pat dry your feet and dispose of the water.

Step 2 ~ Use Melaleuca Oil to spot treat any infection.  You can either drop the oil directly onto the area or put a few drops on a cotton swab and apply 2 or 3 times a day.  Melaleuca Oil is also known as Tea Tree Oil.  If you have very sensitive skin it can burn or cause irritation.  If you suspect it will irritate your skin, then dip your cotton swab in some vegetable based oil, preferably coconut oil before adding the Melaleuca essential oil.  You will have to apply it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment